Friday 6 September 2013

Forever 21: The Perfect Age To Dream

I am so proud of how far I've come from a year ago, and from even two years ago. I always try to one-up my accomplishments every year. I had my first prose published at the age of 18 and my full G-driver's license at the age of 19. I also managed to get a great Work-Study position at the age of 19 and now, to add to that, I also work as a freelance writer. I've also visited two countries in the Caribbean/Central America (Cuba and Costa Rica respectively) over the past two years. On top of everything, I currently volunteer with amazing on-campus groups, I volunteer as a Cantor and Pianist at my church, and I remain physically active on and off of campus.

I really believe that you get out of an activity as much as you put into it. I feel so blessed. We tend to think that we're too young or too old to go for our most secret desires, but I know that any age is the right age to pursue what you love with all of your heart. I've done everything from teaching piano, and tutoring: music theory, math, and English, to serving, designing, editing, and writing. To be honest, I would not consider myself an expert in any of those fields but I've learned, explored, and figured out what I know and love today.

I think that a lot of things really sparked my journey and my path to finding who I want to be. From first receiving the Ray Raymond Literacy Award in the eighth grade, to being accepted into Trinity College for university, to first being published by a magazine, to first being paid for my writing - I've come to realize that English and writing are two things that I absolutely adore. It really has all come full circle to me as I, still a hopeful amateur, really having a burning desire to accomplish more for myself and to realize my full potential. I know that I'm 21, but I'm 21 and proud of what I've done. Each accomplishment is a stepping stone and I hope to stay grounded no matter what. I also have big dreams that I hope will speak for themselves when the time comes.    

No comments:

Post a Comment