Saturday 21 September 2013

Auditions & What I Learned From Them

I recently got two rejection e-mails for audition call-backs that were supposed to happen today. I figured for one of them that I wouldn't get a call-back. For the other one, I wasn't sure. Until now.

I have a history with auditions; I don't do so well in them. I auditioned for Vocal at Cardinal Carter Academy for the Arts three times before I actually got in (the third time the fee was waived). And when I was actually a student at Carter, I auditioned for numerous solos and for two musicals and got rejected for each and every single solo and musical that I auditioned for.

At university, the outcome has been the same. I auditioned to be part of a music night and was rejected and I auditioned to be in a musical and in a play and was also rejected.

Auditions are great! I don't think I've done enough of them to be truly jaded, but I think the best thing about them is that you can be more confident in who you are when you go through them. You learn more about yourself each time and you get to show off your skills and talents. I'm glad I auditioned for each thing that I auditioned for and I hope in the future to do more auditions particularly for musicals because I love singing so much and would love to be in a musical.

That being said there were also some interesting things that I learned about auditions:

1) Adjustments don't mean anything - I didn't quite believe it at first, because you always want to feel special, but now I know now for a fact (after having adjustments for both of my most recent auditions) that they were probably just trying to fill up my audition's time's worth.

2) The directors will mention the callback date and times to you, even if you aren't getting a callback - They are just trying to be polite in case you gab to the other people auditioning.

3) Sometimes they have a role or idea already in their head and you just don't fit the role - It's nothing personal. As I've written before, people don't really know you. They only know what they want and if what you present isn't what they want then that's it.

I just appreciated that they took the time to see me and speak with me! Everything happens for a reason, and I might be too busy for rehearsals anyways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment