Friday 14 June 2013

Seek First To Understand Then To Be Understood

"Jesus meek and humble of heart make my heart like unto thine."
- Based on the Litany of Humility by Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val

When I was in my high school Leadership class, the teacher assigned us into seven groups and each group received a habit from the book Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. My group's habit was Seek First To Understand Then To Be Understood. We basically had to discuss our habit within our group and present it (or something of that nature). Reflecting on my life, I can definitely see how that habit is relevant to me because lately, I haven't been listening to others and I've only been wanting to hear my own voice.

Earlier this year, I had been rather upset with people in my life who had been cutting me off - when I would speak they would interrupt me, and they wouldn't even realize it. These people were not even strangers, they were friends, classmates, people who I thought I had respect with. It hurt me that these people only cared about continuing what was on their mind and didn't bother listening to what I was saying. I did not want to be just a mattress for their ideas. So, I discussed it with my mother and she was unsympathetic. If I had something worth saying they would listen; maybe the tone of my voice was maybe trailing off. They wouldn't interrupt me when it was just the two of us speaking, but when there was a third or fourth party, they spoke as if I wasn't even there.

I thought that maybe being louder and speaking with more authority would help me not be quashed by the ideas of others, but now, after looking back, and after looking at how belligerent I've come to be about my ideas and opinions; I've realized that maybe it's okay to just listen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment