Friday 22 March 2013

Goodbying, Belonging, and Beginning

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
- Helen Keller

Change can be scary, when you feel unprepared for the future. I've always questioned myself - why do I keep making the same mistakes? What will happen to me in the next couple of years? Where do I belong? After high school, I was eager to start school with an open mind and a willing heart. I wanted to make new friends, study something I loved, and develop a romantic relationship. I was lucky and I worked hard to get jobs and make friends. I contemplated my majors (and minor at the time) over the last two years. It was more difficult for me to pursue something romantic because of my more reserved and shy nature. But I did find people that I was interested in at the time.

I had to say a lot of goodbyes to every day, every mistake, every failure, and everything I couldn't change. I often felt like I didn't belong anywhere at times: not with my friends, not with my College, not with my club groups, not with my church, not with my family. And it was an isolating experience, to feel like no one understands or cares. But self-acceptance is an every day process. I am not perfect. I make mistakes. I just have to pick myself back up and carry on. Every day is a new beginning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment